When Edwina Galloway started to feel a strange knot in her throat after eating some peanuts, she tried to ease it by drinking tea.
But within minutes her throat was constricting and she was struggling to breathe. Her husband bundled her into their car and rushed her to hospital.
Fortunately, it was only a mile from their home in Sevenoaks, Kent; had it been much further, Edwina could have died.
‘By the time I got there, I was shivering and shaking as my body was going into shock,’ says Edwina, 48, who runs her own administration business. ‘It was terribly frightening.’
Edwina was suffering from anaphylactic shock – an allergic reaction which causes puffy lips and eyes, other symptoms such as vomiting and breathing difficulties as the air passages swell. Untreated, it can prove fatal within minutes. more>>>